Monday, March 5, 2012

The Secret World of Arrietty

This is the French movie poster. I thought it was magical

My husband and I are big Hayao Miyazaki fans, and we own almost all of his movies. We were excited that The Secret World of Arrietty was actually playing at one of the local theaters!

The movie is based on Mary Norton's 1952 novel "The Borrowers," about a family of miniature people who live in a world hidden from ordinary humans. It was nice to see one of my favorite childhood stories brought to life without 3-D or being "Pixared-to-death" (don't get me wrong, I love Pixar movies). 

One of the things Clint and I often talk about Studio Ghibli films, is the attention to detail, even in the backgrounds. In Arrietty, I noticed the attention to detail even went as far as the sound. For instance, when you are smaller certain noises will be louder, like the rustle of clothing or a clock ticking. 

We both thought this was film was magical. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD, and maybe I'll get lucky and be able to find the soundtrack (because the music was magical too!).

Check out the trailer


If you've seen the movie, what were your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Studio Ghibli, can't wait to see this :)